It has been a while since I have blogged, mainly because everything gets put up on the Facebook page! However, I vow repentance, and improvement - a lot is happening at Follies HQ, so I'll do some individual posts on the goings-on!

First of all, two weeks ago, Lady Mary, or rather, the Sun Monument, at Wentworth Castle Gardens, got follified. My lovely friend Rachel once more volunteered her van for transport, and Lady Mary spent a couple of nights at Wentworth in waiting.

On Sunday, Pete from Wentworth Castle Gardens, my husband Nigel, the child mainly known as the munchkin, and I hauled everything up the grassy slopes to the monument. Altogether, it was a much less elaborate affair - not six army stretchers plus paraphernalia,  but a mini buggy-trucky thing which fit Lady Mary as though she had been made for it. Once we got up to the monument, we originally thought that Lady Mary looked quite nice just leaning against the monument, at the bottom......did we really want the hassle of getting it 4m up in the air?

Well, we had time, and it felt like a bit of a cop-out, making over 6,000 beads, pinning them to the board, making the frame, painting it, hauling it up to the monument.....and then falling short at the last hurdle?

Pete fetched the ladder while Nigel and I sorted out the rigging (eyelets and steel cables re-used from Rapunzel). Once Pete returned, we discovered two things. 

A) It was fairly straightforward pushing the frame up the ladder, to the point where  the top touches the stonework;

B) It was considerably more difficult to hug the picture, lift it an inch, and push with knees simultaneously to gradually get it raised.

Even now, more than two weeks later, do I have the remains of hand-sized bruises from resting the hard edges on my thighs, and from wedging my thighs under the rungs of the ladder to stay up there. Pete held on to the steel cables for dear life, to ensure I wouldn't get smashed off the ladder if I slipped and let the picture go.

Well, I think the hassle was worth it. The top of the frame fit perfectly against the obelisk, and the portrait looked nicely in proportion (even if I say so myself ;o)).

Pete had put up an event shelter for us to - well, shelter - under, and here, I put out my table and Lady Mary-inspired beads, and visitors had a chance to make a knotted bracelet.

It was a fairly chilly day, so I am grateful to everybody who braved the wind and came up the hill from the comforts of the cafe and craft fair that was going on in the main building!

Plans are now going ahead for the Rotunda, which is the next Wentworth Castle folly to be follified. In-between, though, I had better work on the Ashton Memorial in Lancaster!!

Leave a Reply.