Picture
It was a blowy, blowy day in Fairyland, when a hunched little person was spotted staking the ground with signs, sporting arrows, and the words 'Make a Fairy' Workshop, 1-4pm - drop in!
...
I have to admit, I'd been following the weather forecast in a mild panic....flower fairies in the snow wouldn't have worked quite so well! In the end, although it wasn't warm, the rain held off, and there was a steady stream of fairy-making artists coming down to Fairyland.


Picture
The first job for everybody coming was to attack the vegetation, carefully selecting bits and pieces for a skirt, wings, a body, and a head. Small hands got child-safe scissors, although it became obvious quickly that particularly the bamboo required industrial strength stainless steel! Rhododendron leaves were most often chosen as wings, whereas a never-ceasing array of flowers made up the heads - primrose heads, narcissus heads, purple-ball-flowers-that-I've-forgotten-the-name-of heads...no two fairies were the same! With a bit of help from some raffia (and later, after I ran out, thin hemp string), skirts were gathered and secured, wings tied on, and the head attached. I have now learnt that tulip leaves make tricky wings, and pine cones can be secured better than I thought, and that magnolias truly are very, very fragile!

Picture
When a young man sporting a big camera appeared, it turned out that he hadn't come to make a flower fairy, but instead, to document the "Flower Fairy Follification" for the Barnsley Chronicle, so I'll be sharing that as soon as it comes out.

Once made, the fairies went (briefly) into hiding, looking for the perfect spot in Fairyland to have a photoshoot. Thanks to James Brunt, my council contact for Cannon Hall, for staying around today, dealing with all the 'boring' bits, such as photo release forms - and thanks to all the grand-parents, parents, aunts and uncles who allowed me to use the pictures!

Picture
Thanks also to the lovely Janey, who once more took charge of my well-being (you can detect a theme here, can't you?!), and supplied me with tea and a scone!!

All in all - unless I miscounted - 23 children, ranging from 3 to 9 years old, made 24 flower fairies in three hours - I had no idea what to expect, but, with what I shall now call 'The Luck of the Foolish', it couldn't have worked out any better! There was a steady trickle, any more and I think there would have been queues, any less, and I'd have had downtime. So, thank you to everybody who came and supported Follies for Follies!!

 


Katrin
04/03/2012 08:40

Fantastic! I'm so glad it worked out so well and that so many fairy-parents came along!

Reply
04/03/2012 10:42

We made 3 lovely fairies that are now flying round our house.... Thank you for a fun afternoon Sabine xxxx

Reply



Leave a Reply.